CARVED FROM WOOD: Mission, B.C. 1861-1992
The Mission Foundation, 1991.
From its sober 1860’s beginnings as St. Mary’s Mission (a Catholic Indian residential school), the settlement of Mission evolved in
the 1880’s into a CPR railway junction (“Mission Junction”), was transfigured
in the 1890’s into a major manufacturing metropolis in the fevered imagination
of its developer/founder J.W. Horne (Mission City), acquired a split
personality in 1892 with its division into Mission City and Mission
Municipality, and pulled itself back together again as the District of
Mission in 1969.
Local writer and teacher Andreas Schroeder has written the
tale of his home town as only a novelist could – by focussing primarily on the
city’s most dramatic and colorful narratives, rather than the dusty and
interminable minutiae of which most local histories are made. The result is
extremely readable, entertaining and insightful; Mission residents are lucky to
have such a lively account of their city available to them.” Abbotsford News.